Thousands flocked to Barcelona this week for sunshine and sangria – er ahem – Mobile World Congress, meaning we’ve seen a ton of posts about cool new gadgets and cutting edge tech. Aside from this delightfully weird smart pocket watch, here’s what made the headlines this week:
- Apple will bump AT&T off the Dow Jones Industrial Index at the end of March, providing more evidence of technology’s dominance in the U.S. economy.
- Twitter plans to give advertisers access to 1,000+ target audiences who have expressed “purchase intent.” We clearly didn’t already have enough ads in our streams.
- Vince Vaughn and his co-stars posed for ridiculous (and free) stock photos ahead of the release of their newest movie “Unfinished Business.” A great example of how PR stunts can bring joy to the Internet, which can always rally around ridiculing stock photos.
- Speaking of PR stunts, or rather, missteps, the controversy over Hillary Clinton’s year-long use of private email for government business, is a good example of what not to do when it comes to email security at work.
- Finally, in case you were wondering about the universe, it turns out innovative technology for deep space missions also needs social media for branding. Just ask NASA’s Jet Propulsion Labs.
Those were our favorite stories of the week; hope you enjoy! Otherwise, you’re free to continue debating whether Jarod Leto’s or Kim Kardashian’s big blonde reveal was better.