Today is a special day for us here at B&O! The Giants are playing Game 3 of the World Series, and it’s also Friday, which means another edition of “Wait! What?” Here’s what happened in the world of tech besides the discovery that Mark Zuckerberg can speak fluent Chinese:
- New social network Ello raised $5.5 million in its latest round of funding and converted itself into a Public Benefits Corporation, which means users can say hello app store, and goodbye paid advertisements.
- Connected car, home, and now luggage? A startup called Bluesmart is crowdfunding the world’s first connected suitcaseso you never have to lose your luggage on a business trip and wear the same pair of socks three days in a row again.
- Bad boys, bad boys, whacha gonna do when they come for you? Maybe steal their tablets… The NYPD has announced it will equip the city’s law enforcement with 41,000 smartphones and tablets to improve “workflow.”
- If you’re a busy yet trusting parent who doesn’t have time to drop kids off at soccer practice, new SF startup Shuddle has launched to arrange paid rides for your children.
- Tech genius inventor/billionaire by day and masked vigilante/billionaire by night: Christian Bale has been cast as Steve Jobs in an upcoming biopic on the Apple co-founder.
Those were our top picks of the week, but feel free to tweet any other stories our way @BlancandOtus. Now we’re off to cheer the Giants on to sweet victory…